Summer camp is an essential part of a youth’s development within the Scouting program. Family schedules can be complicated and taking time off of work isn’t always possible which might prohibit adults being able to accompany their Webelos Scout or Scouts from going to summer camp. Additionally, some adults might have reservations about coming to Webelos Summer Camp on their own, especially if this would be their first time. No need to worry! Our trained and experienced Scouting leaders will be onsite with the patrol for the full duration of summer camp.
In 2019 at Webelos Summer Camp at Gardner Dam Scout Camp we’ll be piloting a program called Akela’s Patrol. The camp will provide the adult leadership while your Webelo Scout or Scouts have an experience of a lifetime. The camp’s provided adult leadership stay in the campsite and help Webelos Scouts develop a sense of community and shared responsibility. Adult leadership for Akela’s Patrol are carefully selected, screened and trained prior to the start of camp.
We’re sure you have a bunch of questions about this exciting, new opportunity for Webelos Scouts. We’ve done our best to answer those questions below. If you have a question that’s not answered below, send your question to email@example.com.
When is Akela’s Patrol Being Offered?
Akela’s Patrol is being offered for the following sessions at Gardner Dam Scout Camp:
- Session 1 – June 23 – 26, 2019 (Sunday – Wednesday)
- Session 2 – June 26 – 29, 2019 (Wednesday – Saturday)
- Session 3 – June 30 – July 3, 2019 (Sunday – Wednesday)
- Session 4 – July 7 – 10, 2019 (Sunday – Wednesday)
What is the Cost?
For our first introductory year of Akela’s Patrol, there is no extra cost for Webelos Scouts or Adults to be apart of this new program. Webelos and Adults will just pay either the early bird price or regular price depending on when they pay in full.
Early Bird Pricing – Paid in Full by May 1, 2019
|Youth Attending a 2nd Week||$139.00|
|Adults Attending a 2nd Week||$125.00|
|Adults Per Day||$57.00|
Regular Pricing – Paid in Full after May 1, 2019
|Youth Attending a 2nd Week||$174.00|
|Adults Attending a 2nd Week||$160.00|
|Adults Per Day||$75.00|
Who can Participate in Akela’s Patrol?
Webelos and Adults can participate in Akela’s Patrol. We understand that some parents and adults might be uncomfortable attending Webelos Summer Camp on their own. Akela’s Patrol provides trained and experienced Scouting leaders to guide both Webelos and Adults who participate.
Who is leading Akela’s Patrol this Summer?
Kevin Corkin currently serves as the District Director for the Twin Lakes District. Kevin has worked on Camp Staff for several summers, including one year as a Camp Director at Camp Hiawatha.
Brittany Burmeister currently serves as the Senior District Executive for the Kettle Country District. Brittany also has worked on Camp Staff and has also served as a Camp Director at Camp Oh-Da-Ko-Ta.
Can I Really just Drop my Webelos Scout off at Gardner Dam Webelos Summer Camp and Come Pick Them up when Camp is Over?
Yes. Absolutely, as long as they are registered as Akela’s Patrol Youth. We understand that family schedules can be complicated and taking time off of work isn’t always possible which might prohibit adults being able to accompany their Webelos Scout or Scouts from going to summer camp. Additionally, some adults might have reservations about coming to Webelos Summer Camp on their own, especially if this would be their first time. No need to worry!
I’m Ready to Sign-up. What do I do?
- Click here to go to the Gardner Dam Webelos Summer Camp Registration Page.
- On the right-hand side of the page, select which session or sessions (remember, you can go to more than one!) you would like to register for Akela’s Patrol. Remember, this exclusive program is only available Sessions 1 through 4.
- On the pop-up, click “Continue as Guest.”
- Find “Akela’s Patrol Youth” and “Akela’s Patrol Adult” and indicate the number of Youth and Adults you would like to register in Akela’s Patrol.
- Click “Register.” Enter the registration contact’s first name, last name, and email address and click “Continue.”
- Click the red “Update Information” button on the page.
- Fill out all fields listed in red text. For campsite preferences, please select “Smith Campsite,” as your number 1 preference as this is the campsite that Akela’s Patrol will be camping in. You may randomly select two other campsites, however, know that Akela’s Patrol will be staying in Smith Campsite. For session preference, randomly select any session. We guarantee participants in Akela’s Patrol will be assigned the session they select in step 2. Click “Save” at the bottom.
- Click on the “Participants” tab. Click on any participants shaded in red and click “update information” and fill out the first name, last name, gender, and Scout Rank. You can select classes at a later time. Click “Save” when you’re done updating information for each participant. Continue to update participant information until all participants are no longer shaded in red.
- Click on the “Check Out” tab. Enter the amount you are going to pay now. Please note that we require a minimum of $50 per person at the time of registration. Click “Begin Checkout” after entering an amount and follow the remaining prompts to make payment.
- A confirmation email and receipt will be sent the the email address provided.
I Want to Talk to the Akela’s Patrol leaders. Can I reach out to them Directly?
Absolutely! Their direct contact information is listed below their photos, further up in this article. We understand and expect parents and guardians to reach out to them with questions. You can also reach out to the Center for Scouting with any questions by calling 920-734-5705 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.